Career Opportunity: Now’s Your Chance to Join CVSE

CVSE Inspection

*COMPETITION IS CLOSED*

There are many ways to describe what it’s like to work for the ministry’s Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) branch.

Experienced and aspiring vehicle safety officers and inspectors now have the chance to add their skills to CVSE’s province-wide effort to make British Columbia’s highways safer.

We’re looking to fill positions in three job types:

Area Vehicle Inspector
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
Carrier Safety Inspector

Area Vehicle Inspector

On the job: An Area Vehicle inspector works on the go, independently monitoring and inspecting vehicles, loads, licences, insurance, drivers and carriers to protect highway infrastructure, and the people who use it, through enforcement and education. This position also focuses on inspecting and certifying school buses for safety, and auditing inspection facilities.

What our team has to say…

“It’s about belonging to a great team! It’s also about working for a great organization, being able to learn and work together, and helping one another when one of our members needs guidance. Most of all, it’s about having fun doing our job.”

Jose Cordeiro, Area Vehicle Inspector, Prince George

“I think the thing that I enjoy the most is the sense of belonging to a team of dedicated men and women that are passionate about making a difference and keeping highways safer.”

Terry Deacon, Senior Supervising Area Vehicle Inspector, Prince George

Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
On the job: A Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer enforces compliance with the acts, regulations and standards that govern the road transportation industry, protecting travellers and infrastructure. Within the assigned area (there are openings from Vancouver Island to Northern BC) the position monitors roadways, operates inspection stations (stationary, portable and mobile) and conducts mechanical and safety checks on commercial vehicles. The officer also issues warnings and prosecution notices, and may delay or detain vehicles and/or drivers.

What our team has to say…

“I enjoy being part of the CVSE team because it is an exciting and diverse career with an outstanding work/life balance. I face new challenges every day, and feel proud of the fact that my job helps to keep the highways safer.”

Jesse Giesbrecht, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Vernon

“I like the opportunities it offers, working with different people, working in different geographical locations, and the flexibility that comes with it.”

Duane Gill, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Prince George

“I enjoy the comradery within the CVSE team and the challenge of working with industry to ensure compliance and safety on the highways.”

Betty-Ann Penner, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Prince George

“What do I love best about working for CVSE? That’s easy… I have the opportunity to positively affect public road safety by removing unsafe vehicles from the highway and by changing driver behaviours. This makes it safer for everybody using our highways.”

Bernie Bolton, Commercial Transport Inspector, Kamloops

“I really enjoy making a tangible contribution to road safety, be it inspecting a truck and proactively finding a problem before it becomes an incident, or stopping aggressive drivers. We are a close knit group, and I have met some of the nicest and most dedicated professionals in my service with CVSE. Our client base also makes for an interesting and often pleasant work experience as the majority of drivers are hard-working people who, for the most part, are appreciative of our contributions in making their workplace safer and keeping an even playing field for their industry.”

Toni Kristinsson, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Tete Jaune Cache Inspection Station

Carrier Safety Inspector
On the job: A Carrier Safety Inspector independently resolves complex problems and applies decisions that significantly impact peoples’ lives and businesses by monitoring carriers and drivers to ensure compliance with the National Safety Code Program. As part of the monitoring process, CSI’s conduct investigations, interviews, inspections and quantifiable audits in accordance with national standards, and also provide training and seminars to industry and partner agencies.

We need skilled people to join our CVSE ranks across BC, including the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, Southern Interior, and the north. Do you think you have the abilities and drive to help keep our roads safer?

Please apply online by November 26, 2014. If you have any questions, please feel free to use the comments section below.

Tags: , , , ,

69 Responses to Career Opportunity: Now’s Your Chance to Join CVSE

1. Adam on November 6, 2014 at 12:17 am

What is the hiring process to become a CTEO with CVSE?

• tranbceditor on November 6, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi Adam,

Here is the link for the CTEO. https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=22437
      If you are interested in applying, visit this page and make sure you have all of the qualifications. Once you have confirmed that – we encourage you to apply and hope to speak with you during the interview process. Does that help?

• Jason on November 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

I have my red seal in commercial transport and I have my cvip licence. Anything else needed for the career? Im very interested!!

• tranbceditor on November 17, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hi Jason,

Please visit the postings for more detailed application information. Thanks!

2. Tim on November 8, 2014 at 6:32 pm

What are the specfic steps of the hiring process?

Application then interview… then?

Also, do you know how many positions are expected to be filled in each area?

Cheers! 🙂

• tranbceditor on November 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Hi Tim,
      There’s a few steps in the hiring process and as for the number of positions, that’s being determined through the process. I’ll have someone follow up with you through your email.

• Michael on December 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm

What can I expect to find on the testing stage?

• tranbceditor on December 15, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi Michael,
          Thanks for your question. In the testing state, one can expect:
          • A written test that will check your knowledge skills and abilities as they relate to this line of work
          • Some behavioral and traditional type questions that will allow you to demonstrate your past work experiences
          • A physical demonstration of your ability to crawl, climb and maneuver your way around large commercial vehicle during a mechanical inspection.

I hope that answers your question.

3. Alejandro Garcia on November 13, 2014 at 6:41 pm

What requirements do an out of Province applicant need?

4. Clint on November 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Hi
    Same question as Tim from November 8th,2014? Also my interest is particularly in one city in the Southern Interior Region. Also can you please explain to me the differences between the carrier safety inspector and commercial transport enforcement officer? Is one an entry level and the other progressive? I’m not really sure which one, or both, I should apply for. Thanks

5. Clint on November 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Also, if possible, how does one go about requesting a some time job shadowing or riding along to make sure we would want to continue with an application?

6. Chris on November 14, 2014 at 8:44 am

What are the wages of a cvse officer

7. Clint on November 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Hi. Same question as Tim and also Id like to know the difference between CTEO position and the Carrier Safety Inspector as I am not sure which one to apply to for entry positions. Also I have specific interest in one particular town in the Southern Interior Region, how many openings are there going to be and where? I would also like to know how to go about on a ride along or job shadowing to get a real feel for the job and make sure its right for me. Thanks

8. Gerald Ford on November 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Hello I have a question regarding the Area Vehicle Inspector position & the salary range posted: $58,332.28 – $66,652.94 annually.

Is there a graduated pay scale for the first 5 years?

I am a currently working as a Fleet Inspector at the R24 level. There was a graduated pay scale for the first 5 years of my employment with the BC Government.

Are these the same terms of employment and if so would I be subjected to this process again?

9. Joss on November 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I am wondering how long you will be accepting applications?

• tranbceditor on November 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hello Joss,

The competition will be open until midnight on November 26, 2014

10. Darryl on December 29, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Good day.

I have a question pertaining to a CVSE posting I have applied to a month ago. Is there someone I could contact to follow up on my application status?

D.
    Kamloops BC

11. Graham on January 5, 2015 at 7:49 am

Hi, i was wondering what the structure is for training once hired. Is it mostly in house training or is the majority done face to face at the JI in vancouver?

• tranbceditor on January 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Good question Graham, we have sent your inquiry to the CVSE for clarification. Stay tuned.

• tranbceditor on January 5, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Hi again Graham,

The structure for training will be a combination of Justice Institute and on-the-job training provided to each candidate after they start. Thanks!

12. Dale on January 10, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Hello,

When will CVSE be posting new job openings?

13. Gagan on January 16, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Hi I am a student and want to start my career as a Transportation Inspector. Is their any way I could get training through TELP Program. Thanks

14. Chad on February 3, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Hi TranBC,

Been interested in this for quite awhile and woul definitely like to apply later on down the road opportunity presents itself again. I am sort of quizzicle about something, though. CVSE Officers do a wide range of work and take part in a variety of road safety initiatives. Having said that, I was told by an officer that radar for catching speeders isn’t mandatory training and only certain officers get it. If that is true, why? Does catching drivers unsafe commercial drivers who aggressively speed and endanger other road users not matter to the CVSE?

• tranbceditor on February 5, 2015 at 11:40 am

Hi Chad,

While many of our officers are trained and certified for speed enforcement, not 100% of all CVSE officers are; This is generally because of the different type of work done by each type of officer. Our investigational and auditing based officers generally do not, nor do inspectors that do not operate our patrol vehicles or work roadside on a regular basis. Speed enforcement, along with enforcement other driver behaviour offences, are mainly focused on the work units that spend the majority of their time out on the highways, conducting roadside enforcement on a regular basis. While there are the odd exceptions, that’s the situation across the province. Similarly, only some of our officers receive specialized auditor training, but only those that conduct compliance audits as part of their daily duties.

Hope that this helps! Thank you for connecting with us here.

15. Ben on February 10, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Good day!

I’m interested in an immediate or near future “weekend only” position and not sure where to start! Any guidance would be appreciated.

16. Samantha on February 15, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Hello.. I’m curiouse to know what type of training or what someone would need to qualifie for a CVSE career?

• tranbceditor on February 16, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for your interest in the CVSE. High school graduation is a key requirement, along with your valid class 5 (minimum) Drivers’ License in good standing. Other training which is useful but not required (as much of it will be provided to you once hired) are:
      • Provincial Peace Officer Status
      • Dangerous Goods certification
      • Air Brake training
      • Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) certification
      • Emergency Vehicle Operators Course
      • Total Control Driving Course
      • Commercial Transport Inspector Portable Training Course
      • Justice Institute of B.C. Investigative and Enforcement Skills Certificate Program core courses
      • Radar course
      • Must maintain an active/adequate level of physical fitness.

Hope that this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

17. ruvien on February 25, 2015 at 5:21 am

Hey there, I am quite interested in becoming a CVSE inspector and was wondering if there is a way to find out if applications are still being accepted? Also wondering if there is a office or branch I can call to “shadow” an inspector to confirm that this is going to be the right career for me? Any help would be great! Thank you.

18. Bob on February 25, 2015 at 1:28 pm

What are the requirement for the jobs. Do i need any university experience

• tranbceditor on February 25, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Hi Bob,
      Thanks for your interest in the CVSE. This competition is now closed. The minimum education requirement was high school graduation, not university.

19. Ghost on April 1, 2015 at 10:23 am

Hello there.

I have had a pleasure of working roadside with CVSE members at few occasions. I am an RCMP Auxiliary Constable in LMD and I have developed strong interest in traffic services.
    – Any ideas of when new postings might open again?
    – I am guessing, applications aren’t acceptet until postings open?

Thanks.

• tranbceditor on April 2, 2015 at 11:51 am

Hello!

Thanks for connecting with us here. Unfortunately we are not currently accepting applications for the CVSE, but we encourage you to visit the BC employment opportunities webpage and register for notifications there so that you will know as soon as the next opportunity is posted. Good luck and thanks for your interest in working on our team.

Here is the link: https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/searchjobs_quick.cgi

20. Clint on May 23, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Hello

Just wondering when CVSE might be hiring CTEO’s again? Will there be any postings in 2015. I had applied for a couple positions, but the postings were cancelled. Any knowledge of postings? Thanks

21. gordon bouzane on July 1, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Looking for information for New Brunswick area regarding if there are courses for the CVSE program
    if you could give me a contact number

22. Ian Bidder on November 11, 2015 at 11:18 am

I would like to inquire about the cvse opening in Quesnel BC. I am currently a class 1 driver and would like some information about changing careers?

23. Clint on January 4, 2016 at 11:46 am

Hello
    What does the hiring outlook for Commercial Transport Enforcement Officers look like for 2016? Are there going to be many postings? I’ve heard there will only be job cuts and will only be hiring to replace if quitting/retirement happens. Thanks

24. Tony on March 8, 2016 at 10:15 am

Hello there,
    I see that CVSE recruiters will be attending the open house that the JIBC is hosting tomorrow. I would love to attend an event like this but due to my location in Golden it is not possible, are there other ways to connect with a recruiter outside of these types of events?

• tranbceditor on March 8, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hi Tony,

We have sent your question forward to the good folks at the CVSE. Stay tuned.

• tranbceditor on March 9, 2016 at 11:40 am

Hi Tony,

One of our CVSE folks will be connecting with you directly (if they haven’t already). Thanks for connecting with us here and good luck!

• Tony on March 9, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I look forward to hearing from them, thank you for your time and help 🙂

25. Nicole on March 14, 2016 at 1:59 pm

wondering if there are any positions available for carrier auditors, I have heard that the audits are very far behind. Do you contract out audits at all?

26. Clint on April 1, 2016 at 2:15 am

Hi
    Any bulk hiring happening for CTEO’s this year?

27. Roy on February 2, 2017 at 7:16 am

When is the opening for school/ training each year?

• tranbceditor on February 2, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Hi Roy,

That date will vary depending on the school you are looking at. We recommend connecting directly with them. Thanks for connecting with us here!

28. Tyler on March 15, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Curious if there will be any Hirings any time soon. I am really interested in a career with the CVSE!

29. Mike Clayton on March 17, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Hi;
    I have been applying for positions with CVSE for a couple of months now ( including writing the online exam for one position – unsuccessful ) . I also have been doing a few days of job shadowing and am currently in touch with the new supervisor in my local area to further my knowledge and do further shadowing and ride along . I have also ordered a hard copy of the Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Legislation Manuel to study at home . I meet the qualifications for a position and have 30 years experience as a log truck driver . My question is : does CVSE prefer to hire younger applicants over someone my age ( 54 ) ? I have been interested in joining CVSE for several years but just recently ( January 2017 ) got serious about applying . Also , do you have any advise as to any further training I could do on my own to better my chances of gaining employment with CVSE .Thank you for any information or help you can supply .

• tranbceditor on March 22, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Hi Mike,

We have sent your question to the CVSE. Stay tuned!