Tell TranBC

Tell TranBCWhat Do You Want to Know More About?

Are you looking for something on TranBC but can’t find it?

Or have a question about what the ministry does and why we do it?

Share your question with us and we’ll try to get you an answer.

Who knows – your question could be our next blog!

Thank you – we couldn’t do this without YOU.

Tags: , , , , ,

553 Responses to Tell TranBC

1. Thelma Graham on December 12, 2016 at 11:04 pm

On December 9, 2016 I was travelling from Vancouver to Langley on HWY. I had been at a concernt and had not been aware of the snowfall during the evening. I left Vancouver using 1st Avenue. Up until that moment all went well. The road was clear and traffic flowing normally. As I merged onto HWY 1 i noticed that ther was significant snow cover on the roadway. As I passed Boundary and Grandview the snow cover increased until by the time I had passed Willingdon there was an amazing amount of snow on the road. A long story short, until I cam up to the Port Mann Bridge it did not appear that there was any snow clearance or sanding being done. NO Snowplow or sanding truck was seen during the 30 minutes I was on that road. After the Bridge the snow clearance remained poor if not non-existant. I decided to get off the highway at 176st and just as I was about exit I saw a snow plow as it entered East bound onto the freeway – too late for me. All main roads, 176, 32, 200 St and 16 Avenue were in good condition for the weather as the cities of Surrey and Langley had snow plows out. WHERE WAS THE SNOW CLEARANCE ON HWY 1? The condition of the main highway was the worst of any road I travelled on that night. In my opinion, the contractor for this area of the Highway needs to be held accountable for any accident that occurred and must provide better snow clearance services.

• tranbceditor on December 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Hello Thelma,

Thank you for sharing your concern with us here. We have shared your comment with the local area office for review.

• tranbceditor on December 20, 2016 at 11:50 am

Hello Thelma,

We sent your concern forward to the local area office and they responded directly to you via email however, we wanted to share their response here for you just in case.

We thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. Mainroad is responsible for plowing of Hwy 1, through the Port Mann highway 1 stretch. As I am sure you are aware, during a heavy snow storm, there will always be snow on the roads. As part of our post storms de-brief with our contractor, we will be discussing the snow storm on the 9th.

2. Greg on December 13, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Hi, I just notice that BC require winter tire on most Highways. If travel from other provinces do we still mandatory for the winter tire since we don’t mandatory in our province. Thank you!

3. Jim on December 15, 2016 at 10:40 am

Intersection of Mt Lehman & Fraser Hwy. 2 of the corners have slip lanes, 2 do not. The 2 that do not are the ones coming directly from the highway offramps. When they get to intersection, a very high number of these drivers have not woken up from their “highway hypnosis”. The lane on the north east corner is the worst one. A high number of drivers will approach the red light, and only slow, and force their way out into traffic. Many hardly even slow down. They do this while cutting off traffic that has a left turn signal from the left side of the intersection. I have witnessed very many near misses, and countless fail to yields and fail to stop. All the while these right turning drivers are not looking at all to the right for pedestrians. Please implement a no right on red policy for these 2 lanes, or at least the one on the north east side.

• tranbceditor on December 15, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comment. We have shared it forward with the local area office for review.

4. June Blake on December 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Hi, I am wondering why if there is a heat wrap for taps outside in the cold weather to prevent them from freezing why don’t the bridges have these wraps made up longer to plug in somewhere in the wiring of lights to heatup the cables to prevent ice bombs in cold weather? In the long run it would prove to be cheaper than paying guys to cable up n down each line with chains during cold snaps.

• tranbceditor on December 15, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Hi June,

Good question. We have sent it forward to our Bridge Engineers for review. Thanks for connecting with us here and stay tuned for a response.

5. Dillon on December 21, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Wondering if I am able to embed your service map into my own google map?

6. Hans Louwe on December 30, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Spent a good deal of Dec. 29&30 in the east kootenay. Countless wrecks and even fatalities. The average Joe is blaming the highway maintenance contractor. I can’t comment on that, however I noticed huge volumes of liquid calcium being applied all over the place. Near Jaffery today, I had to slow down for a 5 vehicle accident. Even at slow speeds braking was scary. Shortly thereafter another two cars in the ditch. The highway is a skating rink but looks deceptively safe. It was minus. 6 C and it was still being applied. The Ministry of Highways is turning the highways in the east kootenay into very unsafe conditions. I understand that liquid calcium freezes when the temperature falls below 25 degreesF. I am no expert, but after 50 years of winter driving in the west kootenay, I would much prefer a light sanding of grit over liquid calcium that freezes 100 percent of the time.

• tranbceditor on January 5, 2017 at 10:32 am

Hello Hans,

Mainroad East Kootenay, our highway contractor in this area (Service Area 11), uses a product called calcium chloride brine solution. They mix it in house and by weight and it is 23% sodium chloride brine which is then mixed in 3:1 ratio with calcium chloride. It has been tested and the eutectic freeze point, road temperature, is -23. Operationally it has been tested for the previous 2 winters to road temperatures of -15 in SA 11 with success. When applied it does look like it is slippery as the material on the road is very reflective and appears to slick, but it is still in liquid form and not frozen. The solution belongs to our recognized products list and is the same product used in other jurisdictions in the US and Canada as well as other BC maintenance contractors.

A winter chemical is the only effective and quickest way to restore traction by removing snow and ice once road temperatures drop below -6. Winter abrasive is short term solution as it doesn’t stay on the road for long periods of time due to wind, traffic and additional plowing, nor does it remove snow or ice. Hope that this helps!

7. emily on December 31, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Hi there
    Could the Hwy 3 for Allison Pass please get plowed. Heading from Hope to Princeton there are 2 lanes each way, but only 1 lane is clear to drive in heading east. Thank you.

• tranbceditor on January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your comment. We have shared your comment forward for review and follow up but wanted to let you know that in the future, if you notice a problem or something that causes you concern on any BC highway, you can contact our maintenance contractor directly with your issues as well. Here’s a link to their information: https://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/maps/serviceareacontacts.htm#map

8. Crystal Remedios on January 4, 2017 at 11:44 pm

I am deeply saddened to see all the great vintage traffic lights In the 70s & 80s era being destroyed in favor of new garbage traffic lights. It’s not the same anymore. I really wish I could turn back time and relive the moment where all the great green traffic lights in Vancouver were with us. I really wish we can bring those retro traffic lights back, how about making a separate place where we can put old traffic lights back and enjoy the memories, the love. If there is someone who sells old traffic lights, I would like to know.

• tranbceditor on January 9, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Hi Crystal,

Our traffic engineers were thrilled to hear about your love of older vintage traffic lights. They told us that, under our electrical maintenance contracts, hardware is disposed of by our electrical contractors and generally you would have to contact either Raylec or Cobra directly to know their recycle processes.

Hope that this helps.

9. Ron Dworsky on January 12, 2017 at 9:14 pm

The intersection of 8th Ave and 172nd Street fall under your jurisdiction. How many more people will die there before you take action.
    This intersection highly needs the installation of flashing warning lights on both west and east of the lights. Commercial semi trucks speeding to the intersection blow right through yellow and red lights. There has to be warnings lights so they prepare to stop.
    Please keep us safe.

• tranbceditor on January 13, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Hello Ron and thank you for connecting with us here. We have sent your concern forward to the local area manager for review.

10. Wayne Barnhart on January 13, 2017 at 6:58 am

Good morning,

I Live in South Surrey south of 8th ave near the Peace Arch border crossing.

8th avenue has a high volume of commercial trucks going to and from the border crossing on Hwy 15 and the intersection of 8ave/172 street can be a dangerous one with commercial trucks (and all vehicle types) blowing through that light.

Is there any way to have warning lights installed to give the time needed to stop? There have been several accidents all ready and many near misses. Thank you.

• tranbceditor on January 13, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Hello Wayne and thank you for connecting with us here. We have sent your concern forward to the local area manager for review.

11. David on January 13, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I was almost hit by a truck travelling westbound 8th ave and 172nd street. This could be a potential accident for someone who does not look before proceeding.

12. Bruce Carson on January 19, 2017 at 9:38 am

In the United States mountain passes and other areas of snowfall have electronic signs that indicate when snow tires or chains are required. These are the ONLY times such tires are required by law. I would suggest that the Malahat highway would be better served with such a system. There are a very few days when snow tires are required. Some years, none. Besides the extra expense forced on drivers, winter tires are not as safe as rain tires on wet roads, by far the most prevalent condition on the Malahat.